Saturday, March 29, 2008

Waikiki and the USS Missouri

After we left the Punch Bowl we were taken down to Waikiki which I believe is the biggest tourist spot on the Hawaiian Islands. Either way it was nice to see another part of the islands. Below are a couple of pictures from there.

I can't remember what the name of the King that had this palace built but thought it was beautiful. I do know that he ruled after King Kamayamaya (I don't know if that is spelled right or not).

This is the palace that belonged to King Kamayamaya it is beautiful and it is still standing I think they still use it for government offices

.
This was in the middle of a "Tourist" Market place I just thought i would make for a pretty picture. The Koi were beautiful an full of color, almost every where we went there was a Koi pond.

This is a picture of the Westin in Waikiki Bert liked the architecture so I decided to take a picture of it.

Well here is a picture of the beach at Waikiki there were so many people there I don't know how you could do anything without running or swimming into someone.


Bert was like a little kid going in to a giant toy store for the very first time. He was so excited I am sure you can see the excitement in his face!

I will have to ask Bert which guns these were for however I am pretty sure it was the giant ones on the top of the ship. The white bag by is leg is actually a bag of gun powder if my memory serves me right it took three of those to fire one bullet.

This is one of the highest points of the Missouri looking at the Arizona Memorial.

We were trying to take our own picture here and someone saw us and offered to snap a photo for us.



These pictures were taken in the command area one of my favorite pictures is the one right above with all the red/orange tags that say DANGER! I just thought it was kind of funny that they had so many.

This is he only damage done to the Missouri in the 3 wars it served in. The damage was done by a Kamikaze plane, they expected many deaths after it hit but the only death was the pilot of the plane.

This is the seal that represents the end of the war. On this very spot on the Missouri the treaty was signed to end the war. The war started on with the Arizona and ended with the Missouri.

Just messing around on the ship.

These represent the number of Tomahawks that were used, the container only holds four so they used all of them in this holder.

Bert playing with the machine gun if you look closely you will see a rope behind him that he jumped over to get a picture!

Pictures of the Destroyers across the harbor, they were pretty cool even from far away.

Captains room.

Another self portraits we have a lot of these just so you know. You can see the USS Arizona behinds us but this I thought was a good picture of the back side of the Memorial.

The USS Missouri

This was taken of the coast from the airplane, I am surprised how good it turned out.
I am sorry that it is taking me so long to post these but there are so many it takes awhile. I will try and post more soon. Love Carrie